The Best Retail Wood Displays For The Planet
Why you should consider bamboo for your next retail display？
If you are considering a wood store fixture or wood display and are interested in combining environmental sustainability with strength and aesthetics, bamboo might be the perfect material choice. Bamboo, which is actually a woody grass, is not only beautiful as a finished product, but it has an amazing set of characteristics:
Strength and Durability
– Bamboo has higher tensile strength than many types of steel, higher compressive strength than many mixtures of concrete, and a higher strength-to-weight ratio than graphite. It can withstand forces of up to 52,000 lbs./sq. inch.
– In contrast to wood, bamboo has no knots so it can endure more stress throughout the length of its stalk.
– Bamboo cannot be digested by termites due to its high silica content.
– Bamboo’s sectional composition, all the way down to its microscopic fiber level, contributes to its structural integrity.
– Bamboo is better for gluing than hardwoods due to its unique chemical extractives and is also lighter to ship.
– Bamboo’s unparalleled resilience enabled it to survive the nuclear blast at Hiroshima at a point closer to ground zero than any other form of life.
– Bamboo is the fastest-growing plant on earth. Some species have been clocked to grow 4 feet in a 24 hour period.
– A pole of bamboo can regenerate to its full mass in 6 months compared to trees used for conventional wood which take 30-50 years to regenerate to their full mass.
– Bamboo can be re-harvested every 3 years without causing damage to the bamboo plant system or the surrounding environment.
– The bamboo plant’s root system is preserved during the regeneration process, thereby preventing erosion. It consumes very low levels of water from the soil and grows well on degraded land.
– Continuous harvesting of bamboo every 3-7 years actually improves the overall health of the plant.
– Bamboo consumes carbon dioxide exponentially faster than trees (up to 12 tons/hectare), and it does so year round since it is an evergreen. It also releases 35% more oxygen than equivalent areas of trees. Scientists believe that if bamboo were planted on a mass basis, it could completely reverse the effects of global warming in just 6 years.
– Bamboo’s dense root system helps preserve soil integrity, which prevents erosion and landslides that dump nutrients into rivers and lakes where they can harm the ecosystem. Some bamboo root systems have been measured at over 120 miles from one plant.
In addition to this amazing set of properties, bamboo plywood is dimensionally stable and easy to use in manufacturing wood shelves, wood display cases, wooden display stands, wood nesting tables, and all kinds of wooden store fixtures.
Some examples of our custom and stock bamboo displays are shown below.